I have been looking into making this recipe since a recent visit to Amsterdam. I tasted these amazing rolls called ‘Speltboletje’ made with spelt flour, figs and apricots covered in pumpkin seeds. These aren’t quite like the ones I tasted but their are close.
I bought Doves Farm Wholegrain Spelt Flour and it was lovely. A nutty smell as soon as I opened the packet. I felt healthy just sniffing it! I haven’t used it before so I followed the basic dough recipe on the back but needed 50g more water than advised and that was backed up with a reassuring tweet from Mr Hobbs at Hobbs House Bakery!
These tasted amazing with Stilton and Cheddar Cheese but equally lovely with apricot jam for those of you with a sweet tooth.
- 500g spelt flour
- 1 sachet dried yeast
- 8g salt
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 350g lukewarm water
- 200g chopped apricots – I used dried but I think fresh would work just as well
- 50 ml orange juice
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 200g pumpkin seeds
To make them
- Pop the dried apricots into a bowl with the orange juice and leave to soak.
- Mix all the other dry ingredients together and then slowly add the oil and water to form a dough.
- Knead for about 20 minutes until it’s smooth and elastic.
- Cover with a tea-towel and leave to double in size somewhere warm.
- Once the dough has inflated, plop it out of the bowl onto a lightly floured or oiled work surface and knead lightly for a few minutes.
- Spread out slightly on your worktop and work in the apricots.
- Cut into half and then half again and half again and so on til you have about 16 small rolls.
- Flatten a ball into a disc like shape and then bring the top and carry on doing this all the way around the edge. This should give you a stronger ball for baking.
- Using your finger or a pastry brush, wet the surface slightly and then roll the ball in pumpkin seeds.
- Repeat for the rest of the balls and then pop them on baking trays lined with greaseproof paper, cover with a tea towel and leave for 45 minutes.
- When you’re ready to bake, preheat the oven to 200C and bake these for about 10 minutes.