This is a super quick recipe adapted from Laura Santtini’s Flash Cooking. Her wonderful photography shows a beautiful whole cauliflower ‘steak’ but I simply could not get mine to cut like that without crumbling so I used the large florets from 2 cauliflowers and used the rest in soup. I’m sure the taste is the same! I also used halloumi instead of feta because I like the salty taste better.
Flash Glazed Cauliflower Steaks
- 1 large cauliflower or 2 smaller ones like I used
- 1 tbsp Harissa Paste. I used Barts
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Half a pack of halloumi cheese chopped into cubes
To make it
- Preheat the oven to 180C
- Slice the cauliflower. If you can’t do this because your cauliflower just crumbles to pieces do what I did and just pick out the good large florets and slice them in two.
- Mix the harissa paste with 1 tbsp of olive oil and brush this over the cauliflower.
- Fry the cauliflower off with the rest of the olive oil until it’s golden on both sides and then put them onto a ovenproof dish or baking tray.
- Brush them with what is left of the harissa paste oil and then bake them for 10 minutes.
- Take them out of the oven, sprinkle over the cheese and then bake again until the cheese starts to colour on top.
I had this as a little light supper with the Sumac Roasted Tomatoes from her book, some crusty white bread and red wine. It was the perfect late night supper.