This is such a classic dessert and very simple to make. The pastry cases keep in an airtight container for a couple of weeks so you can make them through the strawberry season. Of course you can also top with whichever fruit you like.
For the pastry
- 200g plain flour
- 100g cold unsalted butter plus a little extra for greasing
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp icing sugar
- 1 egg
- ½ tsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp ice cold water
For the custard filling and topping
- 110g caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tbsp cornflour
- 250ml whole milk
- 120ml double cream
- 1 punnet of strawberrries
You’ll also need about eight 3.5 inch loose bottomed pastry tins.
To make them
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Grease your pastry tins with a little melted butter and then set aside.
- Make the pastry. Put the flour, icing sugar, salt and cold butter (cut in cubes) into food processor and blitz til fine breadcrumbs
- Beat egg and lemon juice and water together in a small jug and then pour this slowly into the flour, with the processor on, until it comes together.
- Take the pastry out of the processor and knead it lightly using fingertips on a floured surface and shape it into a ball.
- Wrap this in cling film and put it in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- When it has rested, cut it in half and then roll each half out to the thickness of a pound coin.
- Cut each into 4 rough squares that will line your pastry tins.
- Prick the bases and pop them in the freezer while you tidy up.
- Line them with some cling film or foil and fill with rice or baking beans.
- Bake them for around 8 minutes and then remove the baking beans.
- Pop them back in the oven and bake again for about 5-8 minutes til golden brown.
- While they are cooling, make the custard.
- Mix the sugar, eggg, egg yolk and cornflour into a large bowl. Put the milk and cream into a saucepan and heat over a low flame until it starts to simmer.
- Whisk the hot milk and cream into the egg and sugar mixture until smooth then return to a low heat and continue whisking until it starts to thicken.
- Continue cooking for a minute, whisking continuously, then take it off the heat and leave to cool at room temperature, with cling film over to the surface to prevent a skin forming.
- When cooled, spoon it into the pastry cases and top with sliced strawberries.