This cake is rich and filling so don’t do what I did and cut yourself a huge slice because you will struggle to finish it! Especially if you have it after the Chestnut Gnocchi! I’d say it’s a brilliant carb loader cake if you’re a runner like me.
- 2 tins of coconut milk
- 1 litre whole milk
- Rind of 2 limes
- 200g caster sugar
- 300g arborio rice
- 5 large eggs
- 60 freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 tbsp dessicated coconut
- Zest of 5 limes
To make it
- Grease and line a 24cm baking tin and set aside.
- Put the coconut milk, milk, lime rind and sugar in a large saucepan and bring it to the boil. It looks like a lot of liquid but trust me it all gets sucked up beautifully.
- Simmer for about 30 minutes until the rice is al dente like risotto.
- Take it off the heat and pour it to a very large mixing bowl to cool. This took about an hour.
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Separate the eggs and whisk up the whites. Set aside.
- Take the lime rind out of the rice.
- In a bowl, whisk the yolks gently and then add the lime juice and mix this into the rice so it’s evenly distributed.
- Fold in the egg whites gently and carefully and finally add in most of the lime zest saving a little to decorate the top once the cake is baked.
- Pour the mixture into your prepared cake tin and bake for an hour and 15 minutes. It will puff up and rise so I would suggest a deep cake tin. If it starts to brown too much on top, just cover that with a little baking paper so it doesn’t get burned.
- Take the cake out of the oven and let it cool. It will sink back down into the tin.
- Take it out of the cake tin and then when cooled completely sprinkle over some icing sugar and lime zest.
This works well with Green or Lemon Tea.