- 200g soft unsalted butter
- 200g caster sugar
- 200g ground almonds
- 100g polenta
- 1.5 tsp baking powder
- 3 large eggs
- 2 medium sized oranges
- 10 mini loaf tins
- KitchenAid or electric mixer
To make them
- Preheat the oven to 160C.
- Grease and line the base and long sides of the mini loaf tins. very important! I totally forgot to do this the first time I made these and it was incredibly, irritatingly fiddly to get them out!
- Beat the butter and sugar until it’s light and fluffy.
- Meanwhile measure out the polenta, ground almonds and baking powder in a bowl and stir together well.
- Add a third of this dry mix to the fluffy creamed sugar and butter with one egg and mix til combined.
- Add another third and another egg and mix well.
- Add the final third and last egg and mix well.
- Stop the mixer and add the orange zest and stir in til well combined.
- Divide the mix between the loaf tins. Don’t overfill more than half way otherwise they will spill over and/or sink in the middle.
- Bake for approx 30-40 minutes til the mix is coming away from the tins.
- Leave to cool in the tins and then lift out with the help of the paper!
You can make a simple drizzle to go with these. I like adding some cardamom to it but cinnamon or even some fresh thyme. Just take the juice of the oranges and add 2 tbsp of icing sugar per orange. Gently heat it til it is a syrupy consistency.